The age of the modest engagement ring. Part 2 of 2


In part one we remade an engagement ring changing as little as possible. In part two we change a lot, some changes by choice and others by necessity. Yes diamonds can be broken!

This engagement ring was brought to me after it was noticed that the main diamond had totally shattered. My customer admitted to not taking any particular care of this ring over the many years she had worn it. That sometimes rough treatment added to what might have already been a flawed diamond resulted in the damage. Our first task for this remake is to replace that broken centre diamond.

Further on in life and being more financially comfortable than they were at the time they became engaged it was decided to replace the centre diamond with a larger one than the original. I did a digital mockup of the design to see what size they had in mind.

From that photo it was decide to replace the diamond with a .50ct, F colour and Si1 clarity GIA lab certified diamond. With a larger diamond in the centre we next looked at increasing the size of the diamonds in the band.

While we are remaking the ring we also had the option of making some other changes to improve the ring. I suggested that we look at making the main three diamond section in white gold to highlight the diamonds.

I digitally recreated the ring to reflect the proposed changes, a larger centre diamond, larger channel set diamonds in the band and the option of a white gold setting.

The customer decided to go with the white gold setting and I was ready to remake the engagement ring.

Whilst I was remaking the ring I also modified the side profile of the white gold section to allow the also remade straight wedding ring to sit perfectly beside it, something that it did not previously do.

And there you have it, a modest engagement ring reborn by replacing all but 2 of the diamonds, increasing the diamond sizes, thickening up the gold and converting it to a two tone alloy design and modifying the design to take a straight wedding ring. Very different to the instructions I had to work with in Part 1.